Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Angelic Musings


Alright, so anyone who has played constructed with me knows that my two favorite loves are Tron and Lightning Angel. Unfortunately, I don’t believe that Lightning Angel is good enough for Extended these days. However, if you haven't seen Shards of Alara yet, it contains a new Lightning Angel Variant:

Stoic Angel

Creature - Angel
Flying, vigilance
Players can't untap more than one creature during their untap steps.
3/4

Now, I shouldn’t have to explain how amazing this card is. If the trends in extended continue the way they are, this format will be dominated by various aggro decks, which Stoic Angel excels against. It’s also in the color of Cryptic Command, which besides being an amazing counter, also has the ability to tap all your opponent’s creatures. Throw in some Threads of Disloyalty, Tarmogoyf, Kitchen Finks, Bant Charm

Stifle and a shit load of counters and you got a deck that can easily hold its own against the slew of aggro and combo which are defining the format right now.



Here’s a sample deck list:

Bant Level Blue:

Lands (23):

1 Forest
4 Island
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Breeding Pool
3 Windswept Heath
4 Flooded Strand
2 Temple Garden
1 Plains

Creatures (12):

4 Tarmogoyf
4 Stoic Angel
4 Kitchen Finks

Spells (25):

2 Threads of Disloyalty
4 Spell Snare
2 Engineered Explosives
4 Cryptic Command
4 Remand
2 Stifle
3 Bant Charm

4 Ancestral Vision

I haven’t had the opportunity to test this at all, but there are a few things I’m unsure about right off the back. First, I’m not sold on Kitchen Finks in this list. Maybe Wall of Roots would be better? It would have greater synergy with Stoic anyways. Also, Chrome Mox might be good to power out early Stoic Angels. Vedalken Shackles over Threads of Disloyalty?


Sigh ...I don’t know … I couldn’t play this deck even if I wanted to. I’m not shelling out 200 dollars for an unstable mana base and an extra 200 for Cryptics and Goyfs. I can barely afford to live as it, and all my extra money needs to go to drinks. Still an interesting idea if anyone wants to toy around with/ refine it.

No comments: